A long time ago, in the 15th century in Prussian Kętrzyn, there was a prisoner sentenced to death who prayed to the Holy Mother asking for rescue. Mary appeared before him and commanded him to sculpt her figure in wood. He was given tools by her. During one night he sculpted the Holy Mother and the Child Jesus; next day the judges were filled with admiration for the figure, and spared the prisoner's life. He left the figure by the road on a lime tree. Since then people have journeyed to the figure with prayers and requests. The Virgin Mary kept on performing miracles. Such pious story explains the sacredness of this place, which even today remains the cult site. Under the reformation movement, there were attempts to destroy this cult. The figure and roadside shrine were burnt, the tree cut down, and people threatened with gallows. The sanctuary was rebuilt in the 17th century. A shrine surrounded by a tetragon of galleries was constructed, with nearby monastery of the Jesuit order whose members served as custodians of the sanctuary. The Basilica is one of the finest antiquities of baroque sacral architecture in this part of Europe. The greatest masters of that epoch participated in its construction. A three-level central altar made by a sculptor and carver from Królewiec - Krzysztof Peucker deserves special attention. A painting of the Holy Mother of Christian Unity brought to Święta Lipka in 17th century by Jesuits is a copy of the image from Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore. In place of linden wood there is a trunk with a silver figure of the Holy Mother and the Child Jesus placed on top of it. The 40-voice pipe organ made in the years 1719 – 1721 by Jan Josue Mosengel is particularly magnificent. Even today its sounds can be heard during summer months or during Świetolipskie Music Evenings concerts also organised in summer. The organ is also famous for moving igurines which re-enact the scene of Annunciation. accompanied by music. Święta Lipka is a destination for pilgrims mainly from the Warmia and Mazury region, and, what’s unique, both Catholics and Evangelicals regard it as a place of worship.